The Wellness Resource Center

Violence Prevention

Violence Prevention

Violence Prevention

Email to connect with a confidential advocate from The Well. 

VCU is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment free from sexual violence. For those who unfortunately have experienced sexual violence, VCU offers care and support and encourages them to seek this help as soon as possible; also, as time passes, important evidence may be lost. The VCU community can contact the VCU Police Department (which offers the You Have Options program),  VCU Health System Forensic Nurse Services (through the Emergency Department), and for students, the Wellness Resource Center, Student Health Services and University Counseling ServicesEquity and Access Services serves as the Title IX office for VCU and coordinates the university’s response to reports. Students can explore, in a confidential setting, available options based on individual circumstances, by contacting the University Counseling Services at

The Sexual Assault, Domestic and/or Dating Violence and Stalking Services within The Well has knowledgeable, open and welcoming confidential advocates who are here to provide VCU students with support and options as they determine their next steps.

“I Don't Know Where to Start?”

If you are or someone you know is in immediate danger or feels unsafe, call VCU Police at 804-828-1234.

It is normal for a student to seek help or not know if they want to report an incident of sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, gender-based harassment and/or stalking. Students can notify Equity and Access Services, which serves as the Title IX office for VCU, or VCUPD to engage the university or criminal reporting process, which could result in an investigation. Additionally, The Well provides confidential services and can educate students about the different reporting options regarding Title IX and VCUPD. Every student has the right not to report to the Title IX or law enforcement if they do not want the incident to be investigated. Requesting services and assistance from The Well does not require additional information about the incident or participation in a university investigation. The goal of The Well is to provide all students with comprehensive information regarding options and resources that results in an informed decision and choice.

Confidential Support Options

Confidential advocacy means any information shared with The Well advocates, including that you sought services, will not be shared with others without your consent.[1]  The Well protects survivors’ personal identifying information and a survivor’s name will not be released. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about confidentiality.

The Well and University Counseling Services provide confidential services to students that request assistance and support.

The Well’s advocates provide confidential services to anyone who has experienced emotional, sexual, and/or physical assault, abuse, or violence regardless of race, sex, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, culture, gender identity or expression, faith, sexual orientation, ability status, ethnicity, veteran status and geographic location.

What does an advocate do?

  • Help survivors determine their own needs in regards to their physical and emotional health, reporting options and academic concerns.
  • Identify and connect survivors to campus and community services.
  • Provide information about personal safety, boundaries and relationships.
  • Provide accompaniment to important appointments (court, hospital, and police) and support throughout the process.

We Start by Believing. We will not pressure you or judge you.


If you need assistance after our standard business hours (8:30a.m. - 5p.m. Monday - Friday), call the 24/7 Richmond Regional Hotline: (804) 612-6126.

You may also call VCU Police: (804) 828-1234 and ask to be connected with a 24 hour on-call VCU Counseling Services therapist. 

[1] However, Virginia law requires us to appropriately share information if you disclose risk of harm to yourself or others, or if you disclose abuse against a child or dependent older adult.