Peer Health Education
The Peer Health Education (PHE) program at VCU is supported by RecWell.
Recruitment for new PHEs will begin mid-semester of Fall 2021. Check back here for updates!
Members in the PHE program provide all students at VCU with quality, well-informed, peer-led education on relevant health issues impacting student well-being. All students within the PHE program work to:
- Create an atmosphere of safety and learning to address current health topics.
- Stay up-to-date on current research and trends in health promotion and wellbeing.
- Encourage open, respectful dialogue.
- Develop strong partnerships with other student organizations.
- Empower students to explore personal identity.
- Connect students to existing resources to support their success.
- Maintain trusting, non-judgmental relationships to support student-driven behavior change.
- Design educational and outreach programs that are inclusive and accessible for all students, and reflect the unique needs of VCU students.
To be considered for a position in the PHE program, a student must meet the following requirements and maintain good standing as a VCU student. PHEs are expected to:
- Commit at least two full semesters to the program.
- Continually be working to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Attend all training sessions.
- Complete the training and pass the exam to become nationally certified through NASPA CPE program.
- Participate fully in all group meetings and events.
- Take an active role in the planning and implementation of health education programming throughout each semester.
- Engage in continuing education to stay up-to-date on emerging health topics and trends.
- Commit to high ethical standards regarding boundaries, privacy, and personal conduct.
Peer Health Educators
Our Peer Health Educators are a diverse group of student leaders who provide quality, well-informed, peer-led education on relevant health issues impacting student well-being. We usually begin recruiting new PHEs in August of each year.
All PHEs at VCU have a national certification as a Certified Peer Educator (CPE), with additional training in four of our main content areas.
- Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Mental Health
- Sexual Health/Healthy Relationships
- Physical Health
Recruitment for new PHE’s will begin mid-semester Fall 2021. For more information, please contact email@example.com.